Certain members of agricultural association TLU SA will pay 45 cents per litre less for diesel fuel following the signing of an agreement with Verco Energy. Members in parts of the Eastern (Mpumalanga) and Central regions (Gauteng), as well as parts of the Northern (Limpopo) and the Free State regions will qualify for this offer, which will also see the TLU SA receive a rebate of 20c per litre.
This was announced at the TLU SA annual congress held at the end of August.
Also at the congress, the annual winners of the various challenges and competitions held by TLU SA were announced:
- Goliat van Gat Pumpkin competition winner was Wykus Lamprecht of Meyerton with a pumpkin of 790 kg;
- Kiepersol Trophy for the Farmers’ Union of the year ~ Cullinan Farmers’ Union for the Goliat van Gat competition;
- LWO/TLU SA Labour Award for healthy labour practices ~ Johan Kense of the Devon Farmers’ Union;
- Charles Baber Trophy for natural resource preservation ~ Swartruggens Distrik Landbou Unie for their role in re-establishing running water in the district;
- Willie Marais Trophy for the best communication about TLU SA’s message and agriculture ~ De Wildt Farmer’s Association for their newsletter;
- TLU SA Rural Safety Trophy: Individual winner ~ Celia Beukes;
- TLU SA Rural Safety Trophy: Affiliation winner ~ Potgietersrus Distrik Landbou Unie;
- Commondale Trophy for Best Farmers’ Association ~ Roedtan-South Farmers’ Association;
- RF Camphor Cup for the Best District Agricultural Union ~ Potgietersrus District Agricultural Union under the leadership of Floris Booysen and Renita Prinsloo;
- Intfin Award for the Best Secretary ~ Renita Prinsloo of Potgietersrus;
- President’s Cup for Young Farmer involvement ~ Lukas Eksteen, also of the Potgietersrus Distrik Landbou Unie;
- Isaac Greenberg Cup for the Best Region ~ Central region under the leadership of Derick Kuün as chairman and Lynette du Plessis as the manager;
- The first-ever female recipient of the Nico Kilian Trophy for Agricultural Personality of the Year 2021 ~ Erika Helm, the Local Government Committee chairperson.
Henry Geldenhuys and Wannie Scribante were unanimously re-elected as president and deputy president during the congress.
The TLU SA was formerly the Transvaalse Landbou Unie, and has been in existence since 1897.