Smallholders who are missing the popular South African Green Industries Council (SAGIC) invasive species and herbicide training will be relieved to hear that the Department of Forestry, Fisheries and the Environment (DEFF) will be offering Invasive Species Forums across South Africa during 2022.
The DEFF Biosecurity Compliance Advocacy Unit has set up a full day stakeholder engagement programme for the public during 2022. Registration opened, 05 January, 2022.
Update your skills in the invasive species sector and spend a day at an Invasive Species Forum in your area.
How will the forums work?
- Entrance is free;
- Venues will be physical meetings;
- Organisers will observe all Covid protocols at venues;
- Online registration at invasives.org.za opened on 5 Jan, 2022;
- Online registration is essential for catering purposes.
Who Should Attend
- National government, provincial or municipal managers of parks, zoos, prisons, wetlands, rivers, dams and protected areas (nature reserves).
- Arborists, horticulturists, growers, landscaper contractors and landscape architects.
- Representatives from conservancies and conservationists.
- Managers of housing estates and large resort venues.
- Landowners ranging from agricultural farmers and foresters to urban gardeners.
- Anyone with an environmental interest in managing invasive flora and fauna.
What you will learn at an Invasive Species Forum
Topics include Invasive species legislation and biosecurity compliance. There will be updates on the latest projects involving invasive species, with special reference to the spread of invasive shot hole borer beetle.
You will learn about about control plans for private landowners and organs of state.
There will be directives for landowners – private, community, parastatal and state.
The revised NEMBA regulations were published in 2021, so there will updated information about permits for Category 2 species.
Invasive biomass initiatives and various environmental campaigns will be unpacked.
Save the Dates
- January 19 – Stellenbosch
- February 16 – George
- March 16 – Kimberley
- April 6 – Cape Town
- April 20 – Gqeberha
- May 18 – Bloemfontein
- June 7 – Durban
- June 15 – Johannesburg
- July 6 – Mbombela
Times for all venues: 09h30 – 15h30.
To read more on laws and regulations click here.
To receive all our notices and each edition of SA Smallholder Online register here.